The holidays are in full swing and that means busy shopping malls, lots of wrapping paper, and ugly sweaters. With all the commotion, it’s easy to get lost and forget the true meaning of the holidays.
As children, we would set out cookies for a hungry Santa Claus, pretend to close our eyes, and pop out of bed as soon as sunrise. We would shake our parents out of bed and anxiously await beside the Christmas tree.
We had already guessed what each present would be but we were excited to finally rip off the paper to see if our assumptions were correct. As we took turns opening presents and giving hugs, in that moment, we knew it had all been worth it. The smiles and memories we captured in photos so that we can look back on now to remind ourselves what it’s all about.
Whether we spread good karma, good cheer, or the Aloha Spirit, the act of giving brings us together and creates a lasting memory. This holiday season, there are plenty of ways to give and bring a smile to someone’s face with a small gesture of generosity.
• Donate a new, unwrapped toy to Toys for Tots at a designated drop off site
• Volunteer at a homeless shelter to help serve a holiday meal
• Bake some cookies and deliver them to a nursing home
• Invite friends and others who are away from family over to share in your holiday traditions.
• Donate can goods to a local food bank: Feeding America
• Mail a card to members of the Armed Forces, Veterans and their families: Red Cross-Holiday Mail for Heroes
Even a small act of kindness will spread the Aloha Spirit and make us all feel like a kid again. Mele Kalikimaka and Happy Holidays from Maui Wowi Hawaiian!